Arshad Sharif did not get justice even after a year of murder

Anchorperson Arshad Sharif speaking during an event in Islamabad on June 22, 2022.  - AFP
Anchorperson Arshad Sharif speaking during an event in Islamabad on June 22, 2022. – AFP

Lahore/Kenya: Kenyan President Dr William Ruto held several meetings regarding the death of journalist Arshad Sharif, but was met with a wall of silence and was unable to do anything to bring the killers of the Pakistani journalist to justice . geo news Now it can be revealed.

According to sources who shared reliable information with these publications, interviews were conducted with various individuals mentioned in the incident in which Pakistan lost one of its most famous journalists. It has now been revealed that President Ruto is aware of this. They were out to find out what had happened, but their efforts made no progress. , The senior journalist was murdered on October 23 in a remote area three hours away from the Kenyan capital.

President Ruto also noted an investigation published here on August 30 revealed that five Kenyan police officers involved in the killing of Arshad Sharif have quietly resumed their official duties without any action being taken against them. after news The President questioned the police after the story was published but made no progress, an official source said.

A year after Sharif’s murder, the five police officers involved in the brutal murder are enjoying full police facilities and their suspension has proven to be a mere cover-up by the Kenyan authorities.

Douglas Wainaina, a businessman who reported that his vehicle was missing, said he held several meetings where he met the head of state, Director of Criminal Investigations Mohammed Amin and National Police Service boss Japheth Koum as part of the investigation . ,

He said: “I have met the President who wanted to know what happened, I also met Mr Koum and the DCI boss and informed them [of] My side of the story.”

He said that when it came to light that he reported that his car was missing for the incidents that occurred on October 23, 2022, many people evaluated him.

Wainaina reported at Pangani Police Station that his vehicle had been stolen in the Ngara area.

Their vehicle was a Mercedes Benz with registration number KDJ 700F, while the vehicle in which Sharif was traveling was a Toyota LandCruiser with registration number KDG200M.

Wainaina said his vehicle has gone missing and he suspects someone has kidnapped his son.

While he was reporting at the Pangani police station, Sharif was attending a party in Ammodump Quenya, Kajiado County, which was organized by Waqar Ahmed along with American soldiers.

On the same day, Sharif was to leave with Waqar’s brother Khurram Ahmed. These two brothers were his hosts in Kenya, where the famous investigative journalist had decided to escape.

Later that night, Khurram and Sharif leave the joint. They were going to Nairobi which is the capital of Kenya.

However, his visit was cut short after he encountered a hurdle being handled by officials attached to the General Service Unit (GSU).

A shootout ensued and in the process, Sharif was shot multiple times, while the driver escaped safely.

Then Khurram told his brother that the journalist had been shot dead. However, by the time he reached where the vehicle stopped, Sharif was dead and his body was taken to the city mortuary.

Wainaina says it was difficult to get his vehicle out of the police station and the police officers really let him down.

He said that he also told the court that he had forgiven his son but no one was even aware of it.

Sharif’s widow Javeria Siddiqui has filed a lawsuit against GSU, which she accuses of trying to end her husband’s life.

According to a copy of the petition obtained by The News, Javeria Siddiqui is joined in filing the petition by the Kenya Union of Journalists and the Kenya Correspondents’ Association and the respondents are the Attorney General of Kenya, the National Police Service, the Inspector General of the Nation’s Police Services. , the Independent Policing Oversight Authority, the International Police Service Commission and the Director of Public Prosecutions. They demanded “punishment and prosecution of the police officers who killed Arshad Sharif.”

Javeria Siddiqui’s suit demands a public apology by the Attorney General within seven days of the court order along with an admission of facts and acceptance of responsibility towards Arshad Sharif’s family.

Javeria Siddiqui told geo news She has no doubt that her husband’s murder was a targeted killing as he had left Pakistan after receiving threats in Pakistan. He has also appealed to the United Nations to take action and intervene to provide justice to the family.

The lawsuit states: “This petition relates to the unlawful killing of Arshad Sharif by Kenya Police officers in Kajiado on 23 October 2022 and the failure of the defendants to investigate him, thereby violating his right to life under Article 26 of the Constitution of Kenya Used to be.” 2010. Since the matter involves loss of right to life, it is urgent.

A year after Arshad’s murder, Kenya’s Independent Policing and Oversight Authority (IPOA), which is tasked with investigating the conduct of police officers, despite promising to provide an update on the killing of Arshad Sharif within a few weeks, Has not made its findings public. Over a period of nine months.

It is noteworthy that the IPOA had already submitted its file to the office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), but it was returned and he was asked to fill some deficiencies before the prosecution process could begin. According to our investigation, the investigation into Arshad Sharif’s murder has gone quiet in the East African country.

It has been established that Kevin Kimuyu Mutuku, a police officer attached to the General Service Unit (GSU), who was allegedly shot at the crime scene where Arshasaf Sharif was murdered, went to work soon after his release from the hospital. But went back. He had claimed that he was shot when bullets were fired from inside Arshad Sharif’s vehicle, but forensic investigation revealed that he was lying.

Sharif reached the Kenyan capital on 20 August and died on 23 October. The 49-year-old journalist had fled Pakistan in August to avoid arrest after multiple cases, including sedition charges, were filed against him over an interview with Shahbaz Gill. Associate of Imran Khan. After reaching Kenya’s capital, Nairobi, Sharif stayed at the riverside penthouse of Karachi businessman Waqar Ahmed, whose brother Khurram Ahmed was managing him at the time of his murder.

The renowned journalist was being transported from the Ammodump Kenya training camp, a joint camp owned by Khurram Ahmed’s brother, Waqar Ahmed.

Martin Mawenzina, a member of the Kenya Human Rights Commission, said that the National Police Service in Kenya has no interest in investigating the case. He said that the investigation process took a lot of time, which is normal whenever the police is not interested in bringing something to conclusion.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top